6.08.2012

Working Hard

So at the start of the year Colin and I decided to really work at being healthier and losing some weight. Colin has always been totally active and I have not... but I wanted to get healthier, in shape, and lose weight- who doesn't? It's been about 5 months now and I've made some nice progress! I'm proud of myself for sticking to it for so long. I was posting on another blog, but really haven't kept that up. I just wanted to write a little about it here. We started off the year and did a groupon for a Boot Camp. We also were eating really strict and started juicing and eating smoothies. Bootcamp was 6 weeks, 3x a week. It was hard, but the set up really wasn't good for me. I don't think a half hour is enough, no matter how intense it is. I then did 5 weeks at Core Power Yoga and LOVED it. I would go back in a heartbeat. It's just too expensive right now. I dropped a few pounds at the very start in January. With Core Power, I feel like I really started to build my muscles back up and got skinnier, but not necessarily much lighter. I think by the time Core Power ended, I was down about 6-7 lbs. During the time, I also started Biggest Loser at work, which just ended last week. I went to Vegas in March and I think that really put a damper on things. When I came back my Core Power membership ran out and I didn't activate my 24 hour fitness membership right away. I started a walking/running program. My weight loss kind of stalled out for a couple of months. I guess I gradually dropped about 5 pounds. The end of April and most of May was really stressful at work and I wasn't able to work out as much and I think I hold onto weight when I do get stressed, so that wasn't fun. My weight was sitting at the same amount since like March, which was annoying. I somehow managed to lose 9 lbs total for the Biggest Loser Competition. We still don't know who won, but with 9 lbs, it was a little over 5% lost. BUT in the past two weeks, I have really been upping the training for the 1/2 marathon I'm doing in July and I have been eating less I think. I still eat chocolate pretty much everyday, but I no longer eat dairy (some cheese on occasion) and really no breads or white things. I really do want to focus on cutting the sugar for a few weeks, just to see what it does, but I also don't want to totally deprive myself. So anyways... After I worked out today I had lost 19 lbs- SO close to 20. I've now lost over 10% of my body weight, which is super exciting!!

Other things that are exciting- I finally went back down a bra size. I was so upset when I had to go out and buy new bras in a larger size, but I was looking in the mirror when I was getting dressed the other day and realized the cups were too big! Nice. Of course I would love to keep my bigger boobs, but I'm happy because I know I am slimming. I also am fitting into clothes I haven't worn since before we were married (3 years). I've kept the majority of my clothes thinking I would lose the weight fast and wear them again, but it's been 3 years and sadly I am finding I- a. no longer like it really and b. it just doesn't fit me well anymore. I have been cleaning out my closet, which feels really good (but I do feel a little guilty that I am being wasteful).

So overall- I am totally pumped! I think the running is really helping, but I am also doing some weight training and walking the dogs a lot. I am not counting calories at this time because I hate it and want to learn how to really eat in moderation. If I do get stuck, I may start to do that, but for now I am not counting. As happy as I am, I still look at pictures of me taken in the past few weeks and still feel unhappy about my body. It's so weird how your perception of yourself changes based on what you see and how you're feeling. Most of the time when I look in the mirror I am so much happier with how I look (although still want to slim some more), but then when I see pics or glance at myself other times, I feel like I haven't lost that much at all... so it varies. I wonder if you are ever happy with how you look?


I have exactly 4 weeks until I go to N.Ireland. I made a few goals based on the trip. A. I wanted to be in better shape so that I would feel comfortable in my own skin- especially with all the flying and traveling and seeing people. B. I wanted to be more confident and feel better about myself. C. I have a weight number I want to hit and I really think I might. D. I wanted to be able to bring just a few items of clothing I really LOVE, that I know I can wear all the time, and not bring all the random clothes I usually do in case I cant find something I like and then never wear 75% of them. I want to travel light, in body and in suitcase. E. I have three pairs of jeans I want to fit into and wear- This may or may not happen. Weight takes the longest to come off my hips and butt, so we will have to see about this one.

SO- here's to working hard for the next 4 weeks and seeing what difference it makes!

PS- I do plan on working out in NI, eating pretty healthy (although I WILL indulge myself), and getting right back into it to work on my longer term goals when I get home in August.

No comments:

Post a Comment