11.29.2012

Mid Mod Love

This is the story of a couple pieces of furniture that were just simply meant to be.

I love mid mod style. I love vintage and thrift store shopping. I also love browsing Craigslist here and there to see what's available.

A few weeks ago I was perusing CL and found a posting for these two beauties. (not great pictures, but you get the idea).

The person was selling them for $500. I kept the page open and looked at it a few days later. They were now going for 50% off. I sent her an email and didn't hear back.

A few days later I renewed the page and both pieces were going for $100 OBO. It was a one day sale for the day before. I waited until about 930 in the morning and called. A lady picked up and told me the donation van was loading them into their truck at that moment. My heart sank. The lady sounded flustered and I didn't push it. From the pictures it seemed like she was cleaning out her parent's house and I didn't want to make it worse. I hung up and wondered where they would go to. I figured it would be to Goodwill or ARC.

After work I went to a couple of the closest stores near the listed address. They weren't there. So I texted the lady and she said she had donated them to the Salvation Army. After a couple phone calls I found out everything goes to their main donation center and then goes out to stores a couple days later but they couldn't guarantee which locations they would go to.

I've never shopped at the Salvation Army for the sole reason that they are miles and miles away (Boulder, Greeley, Littleton, Parker, CO Springs). The saddest part is that the lady who was selling them was selling them (I assume) from her parent's house which was not even 3 miles from our house.

So a couple days later, I went to the Parker and Littleton locations and they weren't there. The next day they were supposed to have a 50% off furniture sale, so I decided I would get up early and drive to each of them and hope I hit the window of them being in the store before someone bought them.

The next day I hit Boulder first and they were not there. I texted my cousin, Ashley, who checked the Parker location and they also had nothing. I then drove to the Littleton location and found the china hutch. I was SO excited! It felt like Christmas morning. I was so surprised I found it because I was beginning to lose hope. I talked to the furniture guy there who checked for the other piece and didn't have it. My plan was to go to Co Springs with Ashley, but the guy said it would more likely go to Greeley, but I could call and see if either location had it.

On my way to meet her I called the CO Springs location and described the side cabinet. The furniture guy there went and checked for me and guess what- it was there!! He wasn't able to hold it for me since it was on sale and I was at least an hour away. I picked up my cousin and we drove SO far and finally arrived. We walked quickly to the back and it wasn't sold! The perfect little side cabinet was there waiting to be taken home.

They had a lot of other fun stuff and if I had a truck, I may have bought more. Here are two beauties I wish I had had room for. In hind sight, I should have bought the sewing machine, but didn't. It was the perfect color!

So I went and bought the side cabinet and hoped and prayed it would fit in my car, because I did not want to drive Jack's truck that many miles and take the time to go to CO Springs again. Ashley and I somehow lifted it and loaded it in my tiny car and it fit perfectly. No room to spare. Awesome!!!

Colin went and picked up the hutch and we now have both pieces. I texted the lady who was originally selling it and let her know. She said they had been in her family since she was like 5. With the 50% off sale, I only paid about $10 more, as well as whatever I spent in gas, which I think was worth it. The side cabinet is now in our guest room and the hutch is downstairs for now. I researched the brand and have seen almost identical pieces for $500 plus.

It was obviously a lot of time and effort, but for some reason I just felt like I needed to track them down. I love a good hunt and a good deal. I also love mid mod furniture and hope to gradually add more as time goes on.

Here they are here in our home. Still have to polish them up and put stuff in them. Beauties!
dominos and a couple other old games were left inside
Jade loves it too
love the drawers and shelves

No comments:

Post a Comment